8 Popular Questions Answered about an Oil Change in Lancaster, PA
Have you ever had questions about an oil change in Lancaster, PA, and didn’t know where to turn? Trust the experts at Dutch Valley Auto Works for all your auto repair questions and more.
During our exhaust and other car repair work in Lancaster, PA, we are asked some common questions about oil changes. So, eight of your most popular questions about oil changes have been answered today. Let’s dig in!
1. When Should I Get an Oil Change?
Regarding regular oil changes, it’s best to follow your vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation for when and how often an oil change should be completed.
Generally speaking, most cars need an oil change every 3,000 – 5,000 miles or every three to six months if the car is not being used very often.
Some cars are equipped with electronic monitors that alert a driver when an oil change is due. Regular oil changes help prolong the engine’s life, so follow the recommended maintenance schedule!
2. Are There Different Types of Engine Oil?
Yes, there are different types of engine oil available on the market. Here are some of the most popular:
- Conventional oil: This is the most basic and commonly used type of engine oil. It is made from crude oil and is refined to remove impurities. Traditional oil is generally the most affordable option, but it offers a different level of protection and performance than other types of oil.
- Full synthetic oil: It is made from chemical compounds rather than derived from crude oil. It is more refined and has fewer impurities, which can lead to better performance and longer engine life. Synthetic oil is more expensive than normal oil but is a good choice for high-performance vehicles or those driven in extreme temperatures.
- High mileage oil: This oil is specially formulated for vehicles with more than 75,000 miles on the odometer. It is formulated with special additives to help extend the life of older engines and reduce oil consumption.
- Diesel oil: Diesel oil is specifically designed for use in diesel engines. It is formulated with different additives and detergents to meet the specific needs of diesel engines.
We recommend checking your owner’s manual to learn which engine oil works best in your car, SUV, or truck. You can also stop by our shops and talk to one of our professionals about which oil is best for your car, SUV, or truck.
3. How Long Does It Take to Change the Oil?
The time it takes to change the oil in a vehicle can vary depending on a few factors.
Surprisingly, these include the type of vehicle, the vehicle’s age, the engine’s condition, and the skill level of the person performing the oil change.
On average, changing the oil in a vehicle takes about 30 minutes to an hour. However, some cars may take longer, especially if the engine is dirty or other issues must be addressed.
It’s always a good idea to allow enough time to complete the oil change in Lancaster, PA, correctly and check for any other issues that may need to be addressed.
4. Is Synthetic or Regular Oil Better for My Car?
Yes, synthetic oil is better than regular oil. Synthetic oil is manufactured, designed to protect and provide superior lubrication compared to regular motor oils.
Generally, synthetic motor oils are recommended as they become less dense at higher temperatures than regular motor oil because it flows more quickly through your engine’s moving parts and helps reduce friction better.
Regular motor oils tend to break down quicker, offering less protection with extended use. However, using a car that doesn’t require synthetic motor oils can cause potential problems, such as issues with the fuel system.
5. What Do I Need to Know about Changing the Oil?
- Choose the right oil for your vehicle: Not all oils are created equal, and it’s important to choose the right oil for your specific make and model. Consult your owner’s manual or ask a mechanic for recommendations.
- Check your oil levels regularly: It’s important to check them at least once a month to ensure your vehicle runs smoothly. If your oil levels are low, it’s time to add more or schedule an oil change.
- Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations: Every vehicle is different, and it’s important to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for oil changes in Lancaster, PA. This will help ensure your vehicle runs at its best and prolong its lifespan.
6. How Much Does an Oil Change Cost in PA?
The cost of an oil change in Pennsylvania can vary depending on many factors, including the type of oil you choose (synthetic or regular), the location of the service center, and the make and model of your vehicle.
It’s always a good idea to shop around and get quotes from multiple service centers before deciding. Some service centers may offer oil change coupons, discounts, or promotions, so it’s worth checking to see if you can save money on your oil change.
At Dutch Valley Auto, we offer oil changes in Lancaster, PA, at affordable prices with a fast turnaround time. Please contact us for our current prices.
7. What Are the Signs that It’s Time to Change the Oil?
There are several signs that it may be time to change the oil in your vehicle. These include:
- The oil looks dirty or has a burnt smell: If the oil in your vehicle looks dirty or has a burnt smell, it’s likely that it has been contaminated or has become too old to do its job effectively. In this case, it’s time to change the oil.
- The oil warning light comes on: Many newer vehicles are equipped with an oil warning light that will come on when the oil level is low, or the oil quality is poor. If this light comes on, it’s time to change your oil.
- The engine is making unusual noises: If you start to notice unusual noises coming from your engine, it could be a sign that the oil is not doing its job properly. In this case, it’s essential to get your oil changed as soon as possible to avoid potential damage to your engine.
- The engine is running poorly: If your engine seems to be running poorly or not performing as well as it should, it could be a sign that the oil is not providing sufficient lubrication. In this case, it’s time to get your oil changed.
If you face all these signs, it’s probably time to make an oil change appointment at our auto repair shop in Lancaster, PA.
8. Why Is Getting an Oil Change Important?
Regular oil changes are one of the most critical things you can do as a vehicle owner.
Not only does it help ensure performance and a smooth ride, but it can also significantly extend the life of your engine components, usually resulting in a lower cost of ownership. Getting an oil change is important for several reasons. Here are just a few:
- Oil lubricates the engine: Oil serves as a lubricant for the various moving parts in your engine. Without it, these parts can rub against each other and cause damage, leading to costly repairs.
- Oil helps to cool the engine: Auto oil helps cool the engine by removing heat from the moving parts. If the oil is changed regularly, it can stay clean and maintain its ability to cool the engine effectively.
- Clean the engine: Oil helps to clean the engine by picking up dirt, debris, and other contaminants as it flows through the engine. Over time, however, this oil can become contaminated and lose its cleaning ability.
- Oil changes extend the life of your vehicle: Regular oil changes can help extend your vehicle’s life by preventing wear and tear on the engine. By ensuring that your engine is properly lubricated and cooled, you can avoid costly repairs and prolong the overall lifespan of your vehicle.
What to Expect from an Oil Change in Lancaster, PA, at Dutch Valley Auto
No matter what kind of car you drive or where you live in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, you need to change the oil regularly to keep your car running well.
When you bring your car to our auto and exhaust repair shop in Lancaster, PA, for an oil change, we replace the old oil with new oil and the oil filter every time.
Whether you’re looking for auto body repairs, wheel alignments, transmission repairs, tires, or an oil change in Lancaster, PA, you can trust our auto service shop near you to take care of all your car’s repairs and service.
At Dutch Valley Auto Works,, we’re here to answer your questions and provide quality service so that you can keep your car running smoothly! Schedule your service today.